ALABAMA’S FALL COLOR TRAIL
Alabama Fall Color Spots
1. Oak Mountain State Park [details], Pelham, (205) 620-2520 — Recommended viewing: Peavine Overlook and Peavine Falls. Scenic drives: AL 119 to Oak Mountain State Park Rd., then to John Finley Ave., Terrace Dr., and Peavine Rd.
2. Oneonta/Blount County, (205) 274- 2153 — Recommended viewing: Horton Mill, Old Easley or Swann covered bridges, Palisades Park. Scenic drives: I-59 up Whitney Mountain near Oneonta, proceed up US 231.
3. Cullman/Cullman County, (256) 734-0454 — Recommended viewing: Ave Maria Grotto and the 277-foot-long, 90-foot-high Clarkson Covered Bridge. Scenic drives: US 31 and 278.
4. Bankhead National Forest [details], Winston and Lawrence counties, (205) 489-5111 — Scenic drives: AL 195 to Double Springs, to AL 33, then Forest Service roads 249, 262, 245, 255, CO 63, and back to AL 33.
5. The Natchez Trace [details], Lauderdale and Colbert counties, (800) 344-0783 — Developed from a network of Indian trails between Natchez, MS, and Nashville, TN, the Trace cuts diagonally across the northwest corner of the state. Scenic drive: Entire 33 miles of the Trace through Alabama.
6. Joe Wheeler State Park [details], Rogersville, (256) 247-5466 — Recommended viewing: Joe Wheeler Dam near the cabin area on the Lawrence County side. Scenic drives: After leaving US 72, there is a four-mile scenic drive into the park’s resort area on the Lauderdale County side.
7. Monte Sano State Park [details], Huntsville, (256) 534- 3757 — Recommended viewing: Warpath Ridge Trail and its overlooks. Scenic drives: US 72 out of Scottsboro and US 431 out of Guntersville.
8. Scottsboro/Jackson County, (800) 259-5508 — Recommended viewing: Russell Cave National Monument. Scenic drives: A L 79 across Skyline Mountain; AL 279; AL 65 through the Paint Rock River Valley; US 72.
9. Lake Guntersville State Park [details], Guntersville, (256) 571-5444 — Recommended viewing: See the park from the lodge atop the mountain. Scenic drives: AL 227 through the park and into Buck’s Pocket State Park and nearby DeKalb and Etowah counties.
10. Gadsden/Etowah County, (256) 549-0351 — Recommended viewing: Noccalula Falls Park. Scenic drives: US 278, 11 and 411.
11. DeSoto State Park and Lodge/ DeSoto Falls/Little River Canyon [details], Ft. Payne, (256) 845-0051 — Recommended viewing: Little River Canyon and DeSoto Falls. Scenic drives: Lookout Mountain Parkway, DeSoto Parkway and Old DeSoto Parkway. AL 176, part of Lookout Mountain Parkway, includes scenic overlooks of Little River Canyon.
12. Cheaha State Park [details], Lineville, (256) 488-5111 — Cheaha is the highest point in the state at 2,407 feet above sea level. Recommended viewing: Bald Rock and Pulpit Rock trails. Scenic drives: Talladega Scenic Drive, Skyline Drive, and Skyway Motorway.
Best Georgia Parks for Fall Color http://gastateparks.org/item/149688